What makes Journi so great are our automatic maps, but what if you do not get them automatically?
First, let's find out how we generate those maps in the first place 😉
Modern technology allows us to have extra data saved in pictures - such as the date and time it was taken, where it was taken, which camera settings there were, and more. Journi then uses this thing, called Metadata, to sort your pictures chronologically and add dates and maps for you 🗺️
You can check if your pictures have metadata if you go to the details or file properties:
- On most phones, you can swipe up or click the little info icon to get to that.
- On a PC you can right-click on the picture and then go to details to see more
Troubleshoot if your pictures don't have (location) metadata:
There could be different reasons for this, such as your device's GPS function being turned off or your privacy settings.
If you want to activate this option on your phone for your future books here is how:
iOS: click here
Android: click here
Frequently, the location data may also get stripped while transferring pictures between devices; this is especially true for pictures transferred over messaging apps such as WhatsApp, Instagram, etc…
You can also use our feature to add your maps manually:
- Click on a page to open more edit options
- Click on the + button and then choose the option "Map"
- You can now long-tap to add a pin or click the button on the bottom left to add a location via text
- Click "Save"
- Click on the map you want to edit until it's blue
- Click on the button "Change Map"
- Now you can pinch your fingers to zoom in and out
- To remove a pin simply tap on it and then click Delete
- You can also change the map style by clicking on the button "Change Map Style"